Monday, November 8, 2010

Use your sunscreen

Fluorouracil
For the last month I've been treating my face, neck, chest and arms with Fluorouracil (aka Efudex or 5FU). This is what I looked like yesterday, a week after I quit applying the treatment and definitely past the peak of the reaction and inflammation. It not only doesn't look pretty, it feels miserable. Most of the last two weeks my skin has been on fire, alternating with an intense "pins and needles" sensation that makes me want to rip off my skin. Application of a topical steroid and liberal applications of Aquaphor create a mess, but ease the discomfort.

I tell this tale so that you will be encouraged to use sunscreen every day. Sun damage is accumulated from sun exposure over your entire life. Ten minutes six times a week is the same as one hour on one day.