Friday, December 24, 2010

Furuno's Christmas surprise

As we were about to prepare a cocktail and enjoy some hors d'oeuvres that Fay had prepared before we headed over to the BYOD Christmas Eve dinner with all the yachties in the marina, we heard a knocking on the hull. Not quite the sound of tiny hooves on the roof, but surprising none the less. Who could that be? I stuck my head out the companionway and saw someone on the dock. I went out on deck and it was the FedEx delivery man. He spoke no English, but held out a box. I looked and sure enough it was addressed to me and "Yacht in transit: New Morning". I signed my name, printed my name, and gave him $3.30 for I don't know what.

Earlier in the week when I took the covers off the boat instruments it was clear that they were severely UV damaged and two of them shattered in my hand. I mentioned this to a contact at Furuno and he said he'd be happy to send some new ones. I told him it wasn't urgent, we could pick them up from a dealer in February in Panama City, but if he wanted to send them I'd give him our address. He sent four new covers and there were delivered to the boat on Christmas Eve. Incredible customer support and service by both Furuno and FedEx!

The cocktails were great and we're off to dinner.