Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It makes the canal work

Rain. Torrential rain. Lots of rain today. Steady, warm, driving rain. And wind; a steady 25kts at the masthead, gusting higher. The boat is "shivering" a bit on the jack stands where we sit adjacent the travelift.

Yesterday was a good day. I identified the exact nature of the problem behind the water siphoning into the boat through the shaft seal vent (Lyman Morse plumbed it to the wrong side of the anti-siphon loop), cleaned off all the hard growth on the shaft, prop and prop gears that had accumulated in Bonaire, and replaced all (but one) of the zincs on the shaft and prop. Unfortunately the Spurs line cutter needs a special zinc which I had not identified previously and don't have. It will have to wait until next time. Fortunately we don't spend too much time in marina's so the zinc doesn't look too bad.

Today is water pump day. Last May, when I attempted to replace the impeller in the water pump for the third time, I managed to snap off one of the small bolts that hold the cover in place. Apparently in my previous attempts to replace the impeller, when I did not yet understand that the bad plumbing was the source of the river running through it even when the thru hull was closed, enough salt water got into the thread and around the bolt to cause it to corrode in place. Then I cleverly applied too much force and snapped it off. As usual, an accumulation of errors. So now I need to replace the entire pump. I haven't been looking forward to this job because the pump is supremely inaccessible. But it's a good day for an indoor project and the temperature is a nice cool 79 so this is about as good as it's going to get.

Time to get to it.